Monday, April 16, 2012

Reflection and Goals

My nursing career has offered me many opportunities to grow as a professional and as a leader. I have been a nurse since 2005 and during that time have been in some sort of a leadership role since 2006. My professional experiences helped me to realize that I was passionate about leading and advancing the practice of nursing. I began my graduate nursing leadership studies in 2007.

For the past two years I have had the opportunity to be in a management position. I was fortunate to have found two mentors to coach me during this time. I recently changed positions, in order to work part time, but plan on working to keep my relationships with my mentors and anticipate pursuing another management position in the next year or two.

Over the next year, one of my goals is to become involved in a leadership role within my new department. I plan to do this through the shared governance structure, as I have done for much of my nursing career. I will need to build new relationships within my new position that will allow me the opportunity to grow. When one changes to a new professional role, one again goes from being an expert to a novice. Fortunately, I have been in my new position in the past, so am excited to re-orient and grow quickly. I plan on meeting with the leadership in my new department to discuss goals and find ways to continue pursuing my passion of advancing the practice of nursing.

No comments:

Post a Comment